Low carb pastry
I didn't think it was possible to get a crisp finish without flour, but it is!
- Food processor
Dry ingredients first
- 96 g ground almonds
- 40 g coconut flour
- ½ tsp xanthum gum
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 100 g butter chopped into cubes
- 55 g cream cheese
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- Put all the dry ingredients into the food processor and pulse until well mixed.
- Add the butter and cream cheese and pulse very little, just enough for it to start forming clumps.
- Add the cider vinegar to the egg and beat together. Pour over the mixture and pulse very little, again, until it is combined but not at all smooth.
- Using a spatula, scrape it out into cling film and mould into a ball, squashing it in the process.
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
- To roll it out, do it between two sheets of baking parchment. Place it in the freezer for 5 minutes before cutting and using or it will be hard to mould around things such as samosas and sausage rolls. The fillings you use must be cold or it will break the pastry apart.
- Pre heat the oven to 200° fan, 220 electric or Gas 7.
- Brush with egg. The timings will vary. The pastry suddenly goes brown so you'll need to watch it closely. I have been caught out!
- Sausage rolls will take approx 15 - 25 minutes to cook, depending on their size.
- You can cook it separately and serve on the side of a pie filling as it will fall apart if you cook it like a traditional pie.