My nickname as a child was 'Chips'! As I was the fussiest eater ever, that's all I would eat when anywhere else but home. Potatoes are actually a great source of vitamins and minerals. This recipe uses any oil/fat other than seed oils, which far from being good for us, do no good at all. Guilt free chips? Most definitely.
- 3 medium potatoes maris piper work well
- olive oil or melted beef dripping, goose fat
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 200 fan, 220 electric or Gas 7.
- Take a shallow baking tray. Pour a thin covering of olive oil over to cover completely. Or melt approx 40 g dripping or goose fat and cover the bottom that way. Season really well with salt and pepper.
- Cut each potato, first lengthways in half. Then slice each half into chips lengthways of about 1cm thick.
- Lay each one side by side on the oil in the baking tray. When all the potatoes are cut and the chips laying on the tray, turn each one over so that now each one is oiled both sides.
- Put in the oven and cook until golden brown. I don't bother turning mine but you can if you want to.
- Blot on kitchen paper and serve with homemade mayo and tomato sauce. See recipe links below.