This mix is so versatile, you can fry it, breadcrumb it (gluten free crumb of course) or use it as a pate. To make it really easy I have made it from frozen main ingredients. There's also a curried version at the bottom of the page.
- 170 g diced onions
- 195 g frozen mushrooms
- 80 g ground almonds
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tbs linseed/flaxseed freshly ground (optional)
- 1/2 tbs tarragon fresh or dried
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs tamari wheat free soy
- salt and pepper
- light olive oil to brush with
- Pre heat the oven to 220 fan, 240 electric or Gas 8.
- In a large frying pan fry the frozen items, onions and mushrooms with the 3 tablespoons of light olive oil. Fry on fairly high for about 15 minutes until the water is evaporated and everything is well cooked but not browned.
- Transfer to a food processor. Add all the other ingredients and season well.
- Process, stopping to scrape down the sides so that it all gets incorporated, until you have a fairly smooth paste, with a little texture.
- Grease a baking sheet with oil. Shape into 10 patties. Put on the baking sheet. Brush the tops with oil. And bake for 10 minutes turning halfway through.
- Serve with a dressed mixed salad, chilli sauce, mayo, guacamole, the choice is yours!
You could make them bigger, cook for longer and serve as burgers. Here is a curried variation: At the frying stage at 2 tsp of curry powder, 1 tsp of tomato puree, 4 more crushed garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp optional chilli powder, 1/2 tsp ground ginger and 1/2 tsp of turmeric. Omit the tarragon at the processing stage.