These are a bit of a cross between a cookie and a cake as they don't really crisp. They hit the sweet craving spot without containing fructose. To make them into cakes see the variation in the recipe notes below.
- 100 g ground almonds
- 125 g dextrose
- 50 g butter, melted
- 1 egg for an egg substitute see bottom of page
- 1 tsp almond essence sugar free (omit this if making ginger cookies)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence sugar free
- Pre heat oven to 180 fan, 200 electric or Gas 6.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, to make a smooth paste.
- Divide the mixture between two baking sheets, covered in parchment or silicone sheets. 12 tea-spoonfuls on each, using the back of a teaspoon to spread them into thin circles approx 5 cm in diameter. They will spread when cooking so leave enough room.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Cool on the baking sheets.
- They store for a couple of days in an airtight box.
A variation would be to make ginger flavoured cookies. Omit the almond essence and add 1 tsp of ground ginger. For an egg substitute click here To make orange madeleines: add an extra 15g of dextrose, 20g buckwheat flour, 1/2 tsp of baking powder and use 2tsp orange essence in place of the vanilla and almond. Divide between 12 fairy cake cases and cook on 160 fan for 20 minutes.