This is another star dish with loads and loads of nutrients, but importantly, flavour. Adapted from Ottolenghi's 'Plenty More', where vegetarian food takes centre stage. Best served about 30 minutes out of the oven.
- 1 cauliflower broken into florets
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red onion sliced into rings
- 75 ml olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp rosemary finely chopped
- few basil leaves torn
- 7 eggs organic free range if possible
- 120 g gluten free plain flour Doves is great
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder gluten free
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 150 g cheddar grated
- knob of butter
- sesame seeds
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 160 fan, 180 electric or Gas 4.
- Roughly line a 24cm springform tin with baking paper. Rub the butter all over the sides. Sprinkle on the sesame seeds so they stick to the butter.
- In a pan of salted boiling water, simmer the cauliflower for 15 minutes then drain.
- At the same time, lightly fry the chopped onion and rosemary in the olive oil for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl beat the eggs, flour, baking powder and turmeric together to form a batter. Add the cheese, onion and rosemary and beat again. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower and stir gently so you don't break it up.
- Pour into the tin. Scatter the basil across the top and arrange the red onion rings.
- Bake for 45 minutes until firm and golden. Leave to rest for 30 minutes before serving with green bean salad or similar.
Green bean salad link here