Chicken liver is a great source of vitamins including vitamin A and quite a few B. Great for maintaining health it is delicious, with its buttery taste. It is quick and easy to make, but looks impressive if you are serving it at a dinner party.
Chicken Liver Pate
- 250 g chicken livers find them in the freezer section
- 30 g butter grass fed preferably
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Pinch thyme
- 2 tbs marsala you can use sherry or brandy
- salt and pepper to taste
- 70 g butter melted to top
- Chop the onion finely and drain the livers (you don't want all the blood that's in the pot.)
- Melt 30g butter in a heavy frying pan.
- When bubbling add the onion and fry gently over a medium heat for about 3 minutes. Then add the livers. Fry until brown both sides and not looking bloody. Be careful not to overcook as they will be very dry.
- Pour the livers, onions and butter from the pan into a food processor.
- Pour the Marsala into the pan and allow to bubble for one minute then pour into food processor.
- Melt the 70g butter, I do it in the microwave.
- Into the food processor, add the thyme, mustard powder and half the melted butter. Process. Taste and add salt and pepper, process again and check seasoning.
- Spoon into ramekins or one smallish tub. Top with the rest of the melted butter (to preserve it).
- Chill overnight.
- Serve with sugar free Mrs Elswood Haimisha Pickled Cucumbers, salad
- Keeps for about a week in an airtight pot. Or you can freeze it.