Chicken 'n' Beans
This has been adapted from a Pollo A La Plancha recipe, which just translates as chicken on the grill. Its the beans that accompany it that set this dish apart. And I use a whole chicken for less mucking about with individual chicken breasts!
Chicken and Marinade
- 1 chicken organic preferably
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 400g can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 400g can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 green pepper deseeded and diced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 150 g smoked bacon chopped small
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbs olive oil
- boiling water
- 3 red onion finely sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- chopped coriander
- 2 limes, half per person
- Put all the marinade ingredients in a freezer bag big enough to hold your chicken. Mix them up and place your chicken in the bag. Seal it and make sure the marinade covers the skin. Lay it breast side down on a plate and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- 2 and a half hours before you want to eat, open the bag and pour the chicken and the marinade into a roasting pan. Bake in the oven at 170 fan, 190 electric or Gas 5, for one and a half hours. Leave it to rest for an hour before serving.
- One and a quarter hours before you want to eat, fry the onions and bacon in the olive oil until the bacon is cooked and the onions are translucent.
- Add the green pepper and garlic and fry for two minutes. Add the beans and salt and pepper. Add enough boiling water to just cover the mix. Stir well.
- Leave to simmer for 45 minutes to an hour until the sauce is thick and reduced. Be careful it doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan.
- Fry the red onions in the olive oil until crisp and golden.
- Serve the chicken with the beans on the side, a wedge of lime and sprinkled with fried onions and chopped coriander. Even better with a side of salsa and a salad. See the salsa recipe below.
For the salsa recipe click here.