No Pasta Lasagne
As I advise to move away from pasta which sends blood sugar sky high, the alternative has always been to use vegetables as a swap. But this cheat, again adapted from the Diet Doctor website ticks all the taste and texture boxes whilst keeping you low carb. A revelation.
No 'pasta' pasta
- 280 g coconut yogurt alternatively you can use non cow cream cheese
- 8 eggs organic free range
- 1 tsp salt additive free
- 57 g psyllium husk powder
No cook white sauce
- 430 g coconut yogurt alternatively you can use non cow cream cheese
- 100 g buffalo mozzarella chopped small
- 100 g Parmesan finely grated
- 1/2 tsp salt additive free
- pepper to taste
Meat or veg sauce for filling
- Qty meat or veg sauce to your taste or recipes below
- Make your meat or veg sauce first. It can be to your recipe, as long as it contains no additives just fresh ingredients. Or use my bolognese/bean bolognese links in the recipe notes. I find it has more flavour if made the day before.
No pasta pasta
- Next make the no pasta pasta. In a medium sized bowl add all the ingredients except the psyllium. Whisk well then sprinkle on the psyllium and whisk really well to combine before it starts to thicken. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 130 fan, 150 electric or Gas 2.
- Line two lipped baking trays with baking parchment/paper (not greaseproof it will stick). Divide the mix equally between the two and spread with a spatula. Place another sheet of baking parchment/paper on top of each and with your hands or a rolling pin smooth out to the edges so that you are left with a flat surface. Leave the top paper on and place in the oven. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool on wire racks.
- Pre heat the oven to 200 fan, 220 electric or Gas 7. My lasagne dish is deep and approx 30cm x 20cm.
- The first layer is your meat or veg sauce. Then a layer of no pasta pasta. And repeat.
No cook white sauce
- Mix all the ingredients together saving approx half the Parmesan. Spead over the no pasta pasta and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with a green salad.