Quinoa Mushroom 'Risotto'
Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is much easier to use when making a 'risotto' because you don't have to stir it! You could use any vegetable with this recipe instead of the mushrooms. I like cheese but it isn't essential. If you are avoiding dairy leave it out. For convenience I've used frozen mixed mushrooms here but 150g of fresh would be fine too.
- 150 g quinoa
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 200 g frozen mixed mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 50 ml dry white wine
- 1 tsp Marigold Boullion powder reduced salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 570 ml boiling water
- 50 g Parmesan grated
- Fry the onion in the olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa to coat in oil.
- Add everything apart from the two cheeses.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until the water is absorbed. Adding a little more if it boils dry during the 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until well melted. And serve with a mixed green salad.