So versatile and diverse, this goes with loads of things. It is also brilliant cold. It is a great way of using up veg that might be past their best. You can lightly cook it as suggested in this recipe or put in the oven for longer and leave it to melt into itself.
- 2 aubergines
- 4 courgettes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 4 large tomatoes preferably skinned but not essential
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tps dextrose/glucose powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch basil leaves torn
- Cut all the veg into large chunks.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Fry the onion for about 5 minutes without browning, then add all the other veg and lightly fry for a further 5 minutes. You don't want to brown anything.
- Add the garlic, red wine vinegar and dextrose. Season with salt and pepper and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Or at this stage you can put in a covered casserole and put in the oven 160 fan, 180 electric, Gas 4 for an hour.
- Serve with grilled halloumi, tofu or mushrooms.