Vanilla Ice Cream
You don't need an ice cream maker, but they are useful. Use good quality cream and milk. The rice syrup is not as sweet as sugar so your taste buds might have to adjust.
- 2 egg yolks
- 115 g rice syrup
- 250 ml whole milk
- 250 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod split or 2tsp vanilla extract
- You'll need a 1 litre freezer container.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds out (alternatively if you're using vanilla extract you will add it later), putting them and the rest of the pod with the milk, cream and rice syrup into a saucepan.
- Warm over a medium heat until a little steam begins to rise.
- Remove from the heat and discard the vanilla pod. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl beat the egg yolks. (if using vanilla extract add it here)
- Pour the milk mixture onto the egg yolks whisking well.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve back into the pan and heat stirring all the time until it starts to thicken and boil.
- Put back into the bowl and leave to cool completely.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- If using an ice cream maker follow manual.
- Without a machine, put the mixture into your freezer tub. Freeze for an hour, take out and stir/beat vigorously. Repeat every hour or so until the required consistency.
This will keep in the freezer for up to a month, if you don't eat it all in one go! Remember these are not low carb but are included in the Wide Eyed Course to reduce sugar intake and cravings.