Vanilla Ice Cream
You don't need an ice cream maker, but they are useful. Use good quality cream and milk. The dextrose is not as sweet as sugar so your taste buds might have to adjust.
- 2 egg yolks
- 150 g dextrose
- 250 ml whole milk
- 250 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod split
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 35 g extra dextrose
- You'll need a 1 litre freezer container.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds out, putting them and the rest of the pod with the milk/cream into a pan. )If making the lemon version leave the vanilla pod out)
- Over a medium heat, warm the cream and milk with the vanilla pod.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix the yolks and dextrose. (If making the lemon version add the juice and zest here)
- When a little steam begins to rise off the milk/cream strain onto the egg/dextrose mixture. Throw the vanilla pod away.
- Strain the mixture through the sieve back into the pan and heat stirring all the time until it starts to thicken and boil.
- Put back into the bowl and leave to cool completely.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- If using an ice cream maker follow manual.
- Without a machine, put the mixture into your freezer tub. Freeze for an hour, take out and stir/beat vigorously. Repeat every hour or so until the required consistency.
This will keep in the freezer for up to a month, if you don't eat it all in one go!