Basic gluten free white sauce
Use thus as a starting point to maccaroni cheese, chicken or fish pie, and lasagne topping. The possibilities are endless.
- 570 ml whole milk or dairy free alternative
- 50 g butter grass fed or olive oil
- 50 g Gluten free plain flour Doves is good
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard check that it's sugar free
- salt and pepper
- splash white wine optional
- Start by warming the milk in a saucepan until steam begins to rise slightly, do not bring fully to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- In another pan melt the butter. When starting to bubble add the flour and cook for one minute stirring continuously. Remove from the heat.
- Add the milk to the flour and butter, a little at a time. Beating well between each addition to create a smooth sauce. If you are getting lumps a great gadget is a mini whisk or miracle whisk.
- Add the Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and the optional splash of white wine. Beat well.
- Use in all conventional recipes that require a white sauce.
For fish pie cook 600g of mixed the fish in the milk with bay leaves, an onion halved and some black pepper. When fish is cooked through, discard the bay leaves and onion. Strain off the milk and continue with the sauce recipe. Place the cooked fish in an oven proof dish. Top with mash potato or quinoa pastry. Bake for 25 minutes at 200 fan, 220 electric or Gas 7.