This is a really robust sauce. Full of brilliant antioxidants and a good source of fibre, and it's absolutely delicious!
- 300 g mushrooms diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 yellow pepper deseeded and chopped
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 100 g black olives chopped finely
- 1 pack Ready to eat puy lentils Merchant Gourmet are great
- 1 can kidney beans draines and rinsed or mixed beans
- 75 ml red wine
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil over a medium to hot heat in a large saucepan and add the onions. Fry for approx 5 mins stirring continuously.
- Add the peppers and mushrooms and fry until the mushrooms start to produce moisture.
- Add everything else and stir to combine.
- Simmer uncovered for 1 hour, the longer the better. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with brown rice spaghetti or boiled quinoa.
- Can be frozen too.