Low carb onion bhaji
Traditionally these are made with gram flour, but to keep the carb content down I've used a different batter mix. Super easy to make and absolutely delicious. Serve as a starter for 4 or a main for 2.
- 1 large onion finely sliced
- 100 g cream cheese coconut yoghurt if dairy free
- 2 eggs
- ½ tbsp psyllium husk powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp fennel powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ pack chopped fresh coriander
If you only have curry powder in the cupboard
- 1 tbsp curry powder only if you don't have separate spices
- light in colour olive oil
- In a medium bowl place the cream cheese. Give it a stir.
- Beat one egg in at a time until incorporated.
- Beat in the psyllium husk powder.
- Add all the other batter ingredients. Leave to stand for 10 minutes while the psyllium thickens.
- Stir in the sliced onion.
- You will need a frying pan filled about 2cm deep with oil. Heat the oil over a medium high heat.
- Add serving spoon sized scoops of onion and batter mixture to the pan. About 4 at a time. And cook until golden brown each side, for approx. 7 minutes in total.
- Drain on kitchen towel and keep warm until ready to serve with lemon wedges, mint yoghurt and salad.