The meat can be made in advance and frozen. Its tasty even on its own, but with the aubergines and topping it is out of this world.
Meat and aubergine
- 2 large aubergines
- olive oil for brushing
- 500 g minced lamb organic, grass fed and full fat
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 75 ml red wine
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 400 g cream cheese
- 50 g cheddar grated
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat the oven to 180 fan, 200 electric or Gas 6.
- Slice the aubergines about 1cm thick. Place on two lined baking sheets. Brush both sides with olive oil. Bake for about 20 minutes until just browned. Set aside.
- Turn down the oven to 160 fan, 180 electric or Gas 4.
- Meanwhile cook the meat filling. Fry the onions in the olive oil. Add the meat and brown. Add all the other ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- For the topping, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a 2 litre ovenproof dish start by making a layer of aubergine, then a layer of meat, then repeat, finishing with meat. Add the topping.
- Bake for 1 hour until the top is fluffy and golden.
- Serve with a green salad or vegetables of choice.
- This dish freezes well after cooking.
For the vegetarian lentil version click here