The meat can be made in advance and frozen. Its tasty even on its own, but with the aubergines and topping it is out of this world.
Meat and aubergine
- 2 large aubergines
- olive oil for brushing
- 500 g minced lamb organic, grass fed and full fat
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 75 ml red wine
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 600 g creme fraiche
- 100 g Parmesan finely grated
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat the oven to 180 fan, 200 electric or Gas 6.
- Slice the aubergines about 1cm thick. Place on two lined baking sheets. Brush both sides with olive oil. Bake for about 20 minutes until just browned. Set aside.
- Turn down the oven to 160 fan, 180 electric or Gas 4.
- Meanwhile cook the meat filling. Fry the onions in the olive oil. Add the meat (or Quorn) and brown. Add all the other ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- For the topping, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a 2 litre ovenproof dish start by making a layer of aubergine, then a layer of meat, then repeat, finishing with meat. Add the topping.
- Bake for 1 hour until the top is fluffy and golden.
- Serve with a green salad or vegetables of choice.
- This dish freezes well after cooking.