So much nicer than the shop bought kind. Takes a little more time as you have to soak the roe, but it is really worth it. Great with grilled halloumi or prawns dipped into it. Serve it with some grilled fish or as a Greek starter with some toasted spelt bread.
- 120 g smoked cod roe
- 160 ml light olive oil
- 1/2 onion finely grated to taste
- 1/2 lemon juiced to taste
- splash boiling water
- Need to soak the cod roe in a bowl of cold water for at least 2 hours. Longer is better.
- With some disposable gloves on remove the skin and place flesh of the cod roe in a large dry bowl.
- Mash slightly with a fork.
- Add about half of the lemon juice.
- Using an electric whisk as full speed add a little oil to the bowl and mix. Keep adding the oil little by little until it is all added and the mix is fairly smooth.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl so that the mixture gets properly incorporated. Add a splash of boiling water. And whisk again, this should make the mixture lighter and smoother.
- Add the onion a little at a time and taste to see whether you want to add more. Add more lemon if necessary.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Smoked cod roe is sold in varying amounts. To calculate the right amount of oil needed just multiply the unsoaked weight of the roe by 1.33. i.e 140g of cod roe x 1.33= 186ml of oil.