Wild Mushroom Fricassee
There are so many varieties of mushroom so you can go as exotic or run of the mill as you like. It is worth investing in a pot of good dried mixed mushrooms though.
- 60 g dried mixed wild mushrooms
- 250 ml hot water for soaking
- 1 tbs tamari wheat free soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 20 g butter if dairy free use olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dextrose/glucose powder
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 175 g mixed mushrooms roughly chopped such as shiitake and oyster
- 1 spring onions trimmed and finely sliced
- 75 g baby spinach
- 1 tbs double cream if dairy free use coconut cream
- salt and pepper
- Soak the dried mushrooms in the hot water and tamari for 5 minutes.
- Drain through a sieve pouring the water into a large frying pan. Squeeze the mushrooms onto the sieve to get all the flavour into the liquid.
- Scrape the mushrooms from the sieve and add back into the pan.
- Add the butter, garlic and mustard and bring to the boil.
- Add the tarragon and dextrose and boil rapidly until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the fresh mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the tarragon sprig.
- Add the spring onion and spinach and cook for a minute until the spinach wilts.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cream. And serve!