Chilli Con Carne
So easy to make. Don't bother with ready meal style versions of this. This is satisfying and full of flavour, and better still, good for you! Serve with cauliflower rice, creme fraiche and grated cheese
- 500 g minced beef 15% fat or above
- 2 onions, chopped or 150g frozen diced onions
- 1/2-1 tsp hot chilli powder watch out for chilli blends with added sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or 1 tbs of frozen chopped garlic
- 500 ml tomato passata
- 400 g tin kidney beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbs tomato puree
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Put the oil and onion into a big pan.
- Fry over a medium heat for a couple of minutes or longer if using the frozen onions, do not brown.
- Add mince and stir until the mince is starting to colour.
- Sprinkle over the chilli powder and crushed or frozen garlic. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients and stir well. If it looks a bit dry add a touch of boiling water.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour stirring occasionally and serve.