A food processor is essential here. It can be made by hand but will take you 20 minutes as opposed to about 3! Plus you will have one arm like Popeye. Note it is important to use small eggs or the ratio with the oil won't work.
- 1 large eggs properly free range
- 350 ml light olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic trimmed with skin removed
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Put all ingredients apart from oil into processor.
- Turn on and blend for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly pour oil in through feeder tube in a thin steady stream.
- When all the oil is added you should have a thick, creamy, pale mayo.
- Pop in a jar, clean coconut oil jars are a great size, and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. This is raw egg so let others know in case they might be worried about it.
To make this into tartare sauce just add 2 forkfuls of drained capers and 8 cocktail gherkins at the end and blend until well chopped into the mayo. You will never buy shop-bought again! If you want garlic mayo add another clove of crushed garlic to the finished product.