Olive and red onion bites
Easy, vegetarian and dairy free. As low starch snacks go these are great. Good in a lunch box or as a substitute for bread to dip in soup.
- 30 ml olive oil extra virgin
- 50 g pitted kalamata olives chopped
- 2 red onion finely sliced
- 100 g ground almonds
- 30 ml almond milk
- 20 g buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric optional
- 2 eggs organic and free range if possible
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 160 fan, 180 electric or gas 4. Lay out 12 bun cases in a bun tin (fairy cake size not muffin)
- Fry the onion in a little olive oil in a small frying pan. Cook on a medium to high heat to soften and brown slightly. Set aside.
- Put all the other ingredients into a bowl. Add the cooked onions, stir well and divide between the bun cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes until puffy and golden. Serve slightly warm where possible.
These will keep in a tin or airtight box for a couple of days. No need to refrigerate.