Tahini and onion sauce
Such a simple sauce. Great as an alternative to hummus cold as a dip. But I like it warm with the Lebanese Vegetable Rice (see recipe link below). This is taken directly from Everyday Lebanese Cooking by Mona Hamadeh. Truly heartwarming food that's really good for you.
- 100 g tahini paste
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 400 ml cold water
- 200 g onions finely sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pine nuts sauteed in a little oil, optional
- Mix the tahini and lemon together in bowl. It will thicken. Mix it smooth.
- Gradually add about 300 ml water to mix to the consistency of milk, adding more water if necessary.
- In a frying pan, fry the onions in the oil for about 10 minutes until starting to brown.
- Add the tahini and lemon liquid with the salt to the pan. Stir, bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. It shoul reduce to a thick sauce like texture.
- Cool to serve as a dip or serve warm with the Lebanese Vegetable Rice.
Here is the link to the Lebanese vegetable rice recipe