Tomato and mushroom sauce
This is based on one of my mums recipes, goodness knows where she picked it up. But the smokey flavour mixed with the thyme is simply irresistible. Serve it with gluten free pasta or the almond and parmesan chicken, see recipe link below.
- 2 tbs olive oil extra virgin
- 200 g chestnut mushrooms chopped small
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika meat eaters can add 3 rashers of chopped bacon
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dextrose/glucose powder
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- In a medium sized pan with a lid, fry the onion (and bacon if you're a meateater) in the olive oil over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes. Add all the other ingredients, stir well, turn down to a simmer and partially cover with the lid as you want it to reduce down slightly.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until reduced and glossy looking. Serve with gluten free pasta or almond and parmesan chicken.
Here is the almond and parmesan chicken recipe link